Thursday 2 January 2014

We've made a decision!

So, here's the thing.....................

Fridays are when we are usually to be found wandering around Waitrose filling a trolley, putting in things from the list and then adding stuff we really don't need that week or can't remember if we need or not.

Good! so that's the shopping sorted ........................

Actually no!

Most weekends we have at least one market where we are trading with other producers selling fantastic local food, and guess what?

Yes, we buy more food.............

None goes to waste I hasten to add ..... I always make meals from scratch, freeze leftovers and ignore use by dates so its rare that anything is binned, however I can't believe how much food we have in the cupboards and the freezer and how it keeps being added to.

For those of you who read my other blog http://sarahsdancewithcancer.blogspot.com will know how my eating habits have changed since the diagnosis and how I eat eight or nine portions of fruit and veg a day as well as having oily fish several times a week and rarely eat red meat, so the fridge and fruit bowl are always pretty full too, but need replenishing weekly as we certainly get through a huge amount of fruit and veg.

Anyway I'll get to the point in a minute!

We've made a decision ..........

Well, I've made a decision and Chris has agreed to it!!

We are going to give up supermarket shopping!

There!...... I've said it.

 Buying from local independent shops and from our fellow traders is the plan.

Sounds easy doesn't it?

I will just put my cards on the table and say that there are several things that we will still have to get from Waitrose, namely sea salt, kitchen roll, which we use vast quantities of for the business, and local shop stuff isn't absorbent enough,  and non homogenised milk for the cheese making classes. Other than these things for the business I'm confident that we can support local!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great idea. There are definitely a good number of great local producers and it will be interesting to see if there are any things that you struggle to find without a supermarket (other than the ones you mention). I would be willing to bet that there won't be many things that you can't find locally.

    A great idea for the new year. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete